Career Skills Workshops
The IAU students and graduates can access a series of exclusive career skills workshops offering advice and resources to develop their careers. The workshops provide students and graduates with many opportunities to develop employment strategies and participate in a professional work environment. Last but not least they will also develop skills to assist them in applying for jobs and sitting for interviews, as well as ways to manage their professional reputation. The workshops are also a great place to meet and interact with students from across the university and learn more about other opportunities available at the IAU.
Career skills workshop topics include:
Job search skills
Develop the employability skills you need to tap into the job market, grow your networks, and market yourself to employers by:
- targeting your job search
- applying different job search strategies
- uncovering the hidden job market.
What is networking? Develop contacts, connect with other people, practise your opening lines and make a positive impression by learning how to:
- tap into and expand your current networks
- identify opportunities to connect with professionals in your industry
- network at events, in one-to-one situations and online.
Cover letters and selection criteria
Learn to craft a targeted cover letter and demonstrate your competencies when addressing selection criteria, with tips on:
- tailoring your cover letter to specific employers or job vacancies
- formatting your cover letter
- addressing selection criteria using specific examples.
Learn essential information to write an effective resume in a competitive job market, including:
- targeting your applications to specific employers and vacancies to make a great first impression
- what employers say about an effective resume and how you can apply this to your applications
- resume format and content.