Date of approval: August 2021
Office of accountability: IAU-UAE Branch administration office
Responsible Office: IAU-UAE Administrative Office
- This policy establishes the commitment of the Islamic Azad University-UAE Branch to enhance, wherever possible, the quality of social, economic, and ecological sustainability at the campus level.
- This policy recognises that our activities impact the environment; we acknowledge that there is a responsibility to protect the environment and the health of our students, faculty members and the community.
- This policy ensures the IAU-UAE commitments to sustainability. It will strive to inspire and motivate our communities through excellence in teaching and learning, discovery and scholarly exploration, application of new ideas, and dedication to courageously engage and challenge the world in all its complexity.
Sustainable Development is meeting the needs of the present time without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.
The Islamic Azad University-UAE Branch is committed to:
- Protecting the environment and promoting the minimisation of the university’s environmental impacts concerning transport, waste, energy, water, procurement and construction through its direct actions and influence on others
- Developing a collaborative approach to sustainable management within business operations by adopting sustainable policies and practices
- Improving social justice issues regarding how our activities impact the local and broader community
- Minimising risk by providing a safe and healthy environment for faculty, staff, and students according to the university’s policies
- Promoting active engagement and sustainability awareness to university and local community members.
The university will seek to continuously improve its environmental performance in facilities and business operations, capital planning, education, and community partnerships.
Infrastructure and Operations
- Work with faculty, staff, students, and service providers to significantly reduce the university’s waste output to landfill through developing and implementing best practice waste management, strengthening segregation and recycling regimes to increase diversion and promote waste minimisation
- Identify opportunities and implement programs to reduce energy consumption to reduce the university’s emissions significantly
- Identify opportunities to reduce water consumption, implement water conservation measures and promote the efficient use of water among faculty, staff and students
- Promote and integrate sustainable food systems within campus operations by supporting local, organic, and healthy options
- Aim to ensure that all students of Wilfrid Laurier University are aware of and active in issues relating to sustainability through academic programs and activities
- Expand existing academic programs and research related to sustainability issues
- Provide education and training for faculty, staff, and students to make a total contribution to the university’s agenda for sustainability and to study, work and live in an environmentally responsible way
- Raise sustainability awareness among faculty, staff and students about the university’s environmental impact, activities and performance at the individual, university, and community levels.
- Conference of battery disposal
- Battery bin
- Separate bins for different waste
- Central switches changed to local for every room
- Limit the number of pages that could be printed by every student and staff
- Introduction of EEG UAE (Emirates Environmental Group) to students to partake in their activities.
- Manage the waste
- Dispose of waste Accordingly
- Do not throw your cigarette ends on the floor out of campus
- Switch off the unnecessary lights
- Open the windows when the weather is cool instead of AC.